Monday, October 7, 2013

Jalapeno in a Pot

I've been working on an experiment for you non-rural folk.  I planted a jalapeno pepper in a flower pot.  It's not even a large pot, just to see what I'd get.  I realize everyone doesn't have a green thumb, because I don't.  A jalapeno isn't exactly a dietary staple, but for those who would like to eat fresh organic salsa in the winter, or just raise your own spicy peppers, these plants produce quite abundantly.




Two peppers a week has been the average for this little plant and I've included a photo for you to see, there are still small ones setting on.  There are about 8 peppers of various sizes on this plant at this time, and we enjoyed fresh pico de gallo with one I picked the day before.  I plan to maintain this plant as long as I can this winter and will be sure to share any extra care or provision that seems necessary.

I realize we can't raise our entire groceries in flower pots, but we can raise a few things.  I'll be posting potatoes, tomatoes, and other ideas through the fall and winter.  I started this pepper plant in a flower pot, but I've already spoken with people who plan to dig one of theirs up before the frost and bring them in.

The photo below is a regular deck chair, to give an idea of the size of the pot and the plant.  Not only is fresh better tasting and organic better for you, but there is something very calming about tending to the garden, regardless of the area being cultivated.



No comments:

Post a Comment