Sunday, August 25, 2013

If You Want Something Done Right . . .

You have to do it yourself!  We've all heard this, our entire lives and there is certainly an element of truth in it.  The fact remains, however; that even the most talented and gifted of humans can't do everything.  Cooperatives and grass roots movements are born of people, each doing what they can do best, and sharing that with others.

We've begun an experiment here at the Goshen Gazette and we're hoping to start a "grocery roots" movement.  Genetic modification and engineering in a laboratory isn't the only opportunity to experiment with a food supply!  I've done a bit of checking through these past few years and the idea of founding a food co-op is overwhelming to me, so that's not my gift.  Jumping in with an idea and creative improvisation is more along the lines of my gifting.  In speaking with the executive administrator earlier this week, I shared with her my idea of the ideal fellowship.

Well, ideally we'd all be in the same geographical locale, but here's the gist of our conversation.  If everyone involved made the simple statement.  "I can't do everything, I can't be in charge, but YHWH gifted me to do this __________, and I can help in another area."

With that, YHWH has been leading each of us to "bloom where we're planted."  As Americans, as believers, we talk way too much about what "hinders" us.  I've heard people complain about the genetic engineering, but then proceed to explain why they are victims of it and can't avoid it.  I realize homesteading isn't for everyone, right now, but I also know apartment dwellers can have house plants, so here's where we are.  The DEA believes there are closet pot farmers all over the US and have been allocated a budget of $2B to bust them, based upon that belief.  My thought is, if the DEA is willing to make fools of themselves, and the federal government is willing to borrow money to finance the DEA, small time gardening of legal plants is definitely possible!

While I'm experimenting and offering ideas for homesteading and business, Terrie will be sharing with us, her amazing talent of interior landscaping, in her endeavor toward healthier eating.  We hope you'll join us in trying something, even if it's just one thing; toward establishing sustainable healthy food.  We need to implement ideas before the only choice is to "shut up and eat our frankenfood!"

All ideas and photos are welcome as we endeavor to "Bloom where we're planted!"

No comments:

Post a Comment