Sunday, February 2, 2014

Spring is Nearly Here

As I look out my office window, I am reminded that it is indeed, still winter.  That's fine, we need everything in it's season, but spring is on the way.  We've reached the half-way point for winter.  In growing zone 7, rumor has it we can have lettuce, peas, and radishes in the ground in two weeks.  If there is another snow, well, we shall see, but since relocating and going natural, I've spent every birthday in the garden.  I'll use the Gregorian date, just for ease of recognition, although my birthday on the Hebrew calendar is actually mentioned in the book of Esther, but . . . I digress.

Regardless of what the middle of February holds in the way of weather, I've been working in the garden, every March 5, since 2006.  I messed up on the last Shemitah, and thankfully, I've been forgiven.  Perhaps that's why I'm sounding the warning so strongly for this one.  The long debate and discussion of dates in the TO, HRM, Messianic community did not begin with Facebook.  There are those who have figured it from the arrival into the Promised Land, those who figure it from Israel's re-establishment, and those who figure it from their own beginnings at Homesteading.

Fortunately, I have taken the opportunity to turn off the social debates and sit down and do the math.  I figure Shemitah from the children of Israel's arrival in the Promised Land.  When I arrived at that, I was then ready to apply that to my gardening, as well.  As it turns out, I learned this just in time to coordinate it with this homestead.  The first small one, as I mentioned was a place of learning and adapting.  Once I had the year figured, the next thing I heard, was "It's time to move!"  Sure enough, this is my sixth year in this place.  I am so thankful our Heavenly Father makes things easy and preserves the simple!

This is the time the nurseries begin to stock bedding plants and even the Dollar General sells seed packets.  Don't let this year's garden season pass you by, even if it's only a 1 square foot garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment