Sunday, April 6, 2014

Attention Urbanites

Realizing not everyone has room for a greenhouse or even a garden space, I did a little experimenting this winter.  Honestly, the experiment was not about harvesting, as much as it was simply seeing what plants would remain alive through the winter, if they didn't freeze.

Last fall, I bought a kiddie wading pool on clearance.  I think I gave $5.00.  I recommend buying them new, to prevent the chances of cracks or leaks.  First I laid an old shower curtain on the floor of a spare bedroom, then set the kiddie pool on it.  The next thing has proven pretty interesting.  I had various plants on the deck and even started a few in flower pots filled with last year's potting soil.  Through the course of the winter I've harvested a few jalapenos, several stalks of celery, and some herbs, but more importantly in my study, they've maintained through the winter.


This is a great concept for indoor square foot gardening.  I was blessed to have an empty space in front of a picture window with southern exposure, but grow lights would work, as well, I'm sure.  For those with indoor kitties, a piece of chicken wire or small gauge fence placed over the top of the pot when planting seeds keeps kitty out of the soil and the plant simply grows right up through the fence.





This is celery started from the end of the stalk.  These two plants have been going for nearly two years now.  It's not my full supply of celery, but it has provided quite a bit.  I repurpose any brown stems and leaves into compost in the pot.





This little tomato is one of many that have come along this winter.  The plant was given to me by a dear friend and this will be it's second growing season.  I've kept it in a pot, so it's not as large as most tomato plants will grow, but it didn't die out in this cold winter either.


This pimento plant is ready to head to the garden, next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment