Sunday, April 27, 2014

Testing 1, 2, 3

I'll hopefully have photos next week of my latest test.  Seems every year, while trying to repeat what has been successful, I also try something new.  I even have two greenhouses.  One for the testing phase, and one to repeat the past year's success.  I learned the hard way, a failed greenhouse test in the winter, affects all the plans!  One night below freezing can kill everything.

Here at the homestead, I use the same tried and true testing method I learned about in elementary school.  There is a control group and an experimental group.   Actually here it's a control greenhouse and an experimental greenhouse.  Now in the spring and summer, it's a control garden and an experimental garden, usually.  This year, however; I'm planting all over the place.  I truly do want to be prepared for Shemita.  I'm hoping to only need to purchase paper products next year.  Since I do live agriculturally, it feels like I should be observing this upcoming seventh year according to Torah.

There's also the fact that according to the book of Jeremiah, G-d can cause the land to rest and America has certainly made the same mistakes as ancient Israel and more, probably.  The sad thing about us, is we'll have no excuse.  At least Israel only ignored Jeremiah's voice.  We are choosing to ignore his written word, and the recorded history we say we believe.

I'm trying some square foot experiments this year as well as a garden spot, in hopes of offering urban dwellers some good food ideas.  Photos next week, I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment