Sunday, May 4, 2014

Perpetual

I was speaking to a friend this week about various experiments I'm conducting as to how to raise the most groceries in the smallest space.  Of course, I'll keep you posted.  She had mentioned that potatoes had kept many folks from starving.  Sometime after the conversation, a thought occurred to me.  I am working on raising potatoes year round in 5 gallon buckets.  I've not been fully successful for a year's supply, but it's been productive enough to keep at it.  I rotate the planting every month, so they can be harvested at intervals.

The past couple of weeks, I've just not been up to much flavor.  Mostly bland comfort food.  Here I was honored to have an unexpected Sabbath guest, none other than Chef Gerry from Cooking with Gerry fame, and the only seasoning on the chicken was sage served with very boring bland baked potatoes.  There was salad, but, I've just been "off my feed" lately.  Back to my thought.  I truly do feel that I am supposed to be prepared to feed people in the coming days.  I'm not talking lavish meals, just nutrition.

As I made some potato soup, it occurred to me that potato soup is very filling, nutritious, and all the ingredients are right here on the place, growing or stored year round.  Potato soup will satisfy the heartiest of appetites, as well as pureed for baby food.

In the mean time, baby steps of sufficiency.  It only takes a window sill to have your favorite fresh herbs.

1 comment:

  1. the meal was wonderful and the service even better. it was a great honor to fellowship with other believers.

    ReplyDelete