Sunday, June 22, 2014

Let's Talk Veggies

The less that is done in preparing vegetables, the more vitamins, nutrients, and all around integrity of creation remains.  Locally grown, fresh vegetables are not an option year round for most of us, so fresh veggies through the growing season truly are a treat!  I can and freeze to preserve through the winter, but I prefer my veggies unadulterated!  Most vegetables can be consumed raw.  For those that require a bit of cooking, usually steaming is adequate.

People add all sorts of flavor enhancements to their vegetables, but in my opinion those are actually a deterrent.  I understand, as I shake my head; there are folks who do not care for the pure flavor of some vegetables, so enhanced is better than refused.



I do have a sad note regarding my corn.  A friend gifted me with some harvested heirloom seeds from their last year's crop.  This crop was grown in a state that has had some major protests regarding GMO.  Not to sound too conspiranoid, but . . . the corn got taller than I've ever seen corn grow, but it didn't take much wind to destabilize it.  It didn't break, but it never tassled.  In this growing zone, sweet corn is July crop.  The stalks are 7-8 feet tall, no tassle, no ears.  My harvested popcorn from last year is doing well at this point, but it's a later crop!  I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment