Sunday, August 31, 2014

Confidence

I don't usually get very preachy in this particular section, but today is different.  The debate, of course, will continue into spring of 2016.  The debate to which I refer is the one regarding, the Sabbatical year.  Some say it begins at the end of this harvest, others say it's a year from now.  The debate covers three basic issues. The first issue, is some folks believe it only applies to Israel.  The second issue is how to calculate . . . that's an issue in every debate.  The third issue, is the question as to if it applies beyond Israel is it the same year as Israel observes or is it based on the individual's land purchase?  Then there's the question for city dwellers, regarding stocking up or it simply does not apply.  I've sincerely searched the Scriptures and sought YHWH.  I want to be obedient and I certainly do not want to mislead anyone.  In the natural, I lack confidence, and in this particular situation, I struggled.

Then, I realized, lacking confidence in what I believe I've been shown, can be a lack of faith.  Lacking confidence certainly can impede an act of obedience, but that's no excuse.  My confidence is in Messiah, not me, and He's the Word, so I'll take it and apply it as literally as I can, until led otherwise.  After reading the Instruction for the Sabbath year, and praying for understanding, Isaiah 1:19 rang in my spirit.  So, in order to "reason together" with Abba, I considered the facts in my particular situation.  I bought this place in late winter of 2009, before the month of Aviv, and the first thing I did was begin planting.  I've been working this land for 6 years, now, so to plant a garden next spring would be working the land seven years in a row.  There is the other factor that Israel is observing the Sabbatical year, this coming year, as well.  Those are two facts, I simply cannot ignore.

I have to admit, in this debate, something has crossed my mind frequently.  I am really going to miss fresh veggies next year!  Seriously, I am going to miss them terribly.  I know the produce is abundant this year and so delicious, but the abundance is for a reason.  A number of people have commented on how delicious the fresh produce is this year, and made remarks about what a good growing season we've had.  I could use the excuse that I'm unsure and even take a passage out of context and say a woman should not usurp authority over a man, and a number of men are teaching " it's not this coming year," but that would be wrong on my part.  The reality is, for all of us in the diaspora, it may be on an individual basis, but my individual basis says this year has been the 6th year I've planted on this land.  It's time to let it rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment